What is the GCED Innovative School Code
We believe the adoption and implementation of the GCED Innovative school code by participating institutions, both in letter and spirit, bring them to the forefront of transforming their learning spaces in addition to transforming education for human and planetary flourishing, thereby enabling them to shape the many futures of education for generations of young learners.
Adopting the GCED School Code is an essential criteria for receiving the Global Citizenship Schools awardmark. You may display the GCED Innovative school code on your website by copying the below text:
The GCED Innovative School Code
We share the Global Citizenship Foundation's Commitment to advancing the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goal 4.7: Education for Global Citizenship and Sustainable Development and the values enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (1990). Global Citizenship Schools approach education from a new perspective, unleashing the transformative potential of Global Citizenship Education by adopting and adhering to the GCED School Code and fostering the GCED Innovative Mindset. The GCED Innovative Schools’ Code describes the core principles upon which participating schools are expected to base their conduct, culture, and professional practice.
Schools that adhere to the GCED Innovative School Code share the willingness to advance the following characteristic:
- Respect the dignity and equality of all individuals, groups, and cultures
- Strive for excellence in transformative education rooted in real contexts, with high standards for students and staff
- Foster GCED Innovation Mindset amongst educators, stakeholders, and learners
- Actively embed Global Citizenship Education in pedagogy and practice
- Promote bold, creative, and innovative educational ideas through a high level of educational experimentation
- Use of multiple approaches to address different learning styles
- High levels of design-based learning, exploration-based learning, experiential learning, and discovery learning
- Use of practices proven to improve educators’ and students’ morale, engagement, agency, and success
- Evidence of an increase in students’ success through the development of transversal competencies
- In-built culture of Continuous Professional Development of educators
- Fulfillment of the promises stated in the school’s guiding statements, policies, and promotional materials
- High level of parent and community involvement.